It's kinda funny that we still have “happen”, “happy”, “mishap”,
“hapless”, “haphazard”, and so on, but the original word “hap” is
I did this twice.
I am so, so sorry.
I don't know why you would care, but here are the additions I have made over the years:
# MJD additions
<Multi_key> <p> <i> : "π" U03c0 # GREEK SMALL LETTER PI
<Multi_key> <e> <p> <s> : "ε" U03c0 # GREEK SMALL LETTER EPSILON
<Multi_key> <grave> <grave> : "ʻ" U02BB # MODIFIER LETTER TURNED COMMA (Okina)
<Multi_key> <o> <equal> : "ő" U0151 # LATIN SMALL LETTER O WITH DOUBLE ACUTE
<Multi_key> <O> <equal> : "Ő" U0150 # LATIN CAPITAL LETTER O WITH DOUBLE ACUTE
<Multi_key> <O> <1> : "①" U2460 # CIRCLED DIGIT ONE
<Multi_key> <O> <2> : "②" U2461 # CIRCLED DIGIT TWO
<Multi_key> <O> <3> : "③" U2462 # CIRCLED DIGIT THREE
<Multi_key> <O> <4> : "④" U2463 # CIRCLED DIGIT FOUR
<Multi_key> <O> <5> : "⑤" U2464 # CIRCLED DIGIT FIVE
<Multi_key> <O> <6> : "⑥" U2465 # CIRCLED DIGIT SIX
<Multi_key> <O> <7> : "⑦" U2466 # CIRCLED DIGIT SEVEN
<Multi_key> <O> <8> : "⑧" U2467 # CIRCLED DIGIT EIGHT
<Multi_key> <O> <9> : "⑨" U2468 # CIRCLED DIGIT NINE
<Multi_key> <O> <0> : "⓪" U24EA # CIRCLED DIGIT ZERO
<Multi_key> <bar> <minus> : "⊢" U22A2 # RIGHT TACK
<Multi_key> <bar> <equal> : "⊧" U22A7 # MODELS
<Multi_key> <i> <n> : "ϵ" U03F5 # GREEK LUNATE EPSILON SIGN
<Multi_key> <bracketleft> <bracketleft> : "⸢" U2E22 # TOP LEFT HALF BRACKET
<Multi_key> <bracketright> <bracketright> : "⸣" U2E23 # TOP RIGHT HALF BRACKET
<Multi_key> <slash> <backslash> : "∧" U2227 # LOGICAL AND
<Multi_key> <backslash> <slash> : "∨" U2228 # LOGICAL OR
<Multi_key> <hyphen> <comma> : "¬" U00AC # NOT SIGN
<Multi_key> <tilde> <tilde> : "¬" U00AC # NOT SIGN
<Multi_key> <G> <H> : "Ȝ" U021C # LATIN CAPITAL LETTER YOGH
<Multi_key> <g> <h> : "ȝ" U021D # LATIN SMALL LETTER YOGH
It turns out that the file I was given already had sequences for
ő, but only with the
<equal> before the letter, not after,
which meant that 50% of the time I couldn't find it.
Following Tony Finch's suggestion I have been using ⸢ and ⸣
(square quotes) as scare quotes.
I sometimes think about adding sequences for Greek letters other than
π and ε, but it's really not the right place to solve the problem.
My computer environment came equipped with a giant
.XCompose file full of useful
abbreviations, many of which I use frequently. It is much easier to commit
to spelling ‘Sierpiński’ correctly when there is an easy and natural way to
type the ‘ń’.
But some things were missing, and I have gradually added them over the years.
Today I discovered that while it predefined sequences for þ and ð, it had none for
ȝ. (This makes sense, as þ and ð are still used in modern Icelandic, and
even appear in ISO 8859-1, whereas ȝ is obsolete.)
Early on I had to add a sequence for ‘ő’ so that I wouldn't have to misspell
“Erdős”. You can see where my priorities are.
“Kennel” is (ultimately) from Latin canis.